Lexie was invited to help provide food at an event at her local village hall. The "pig racing" event involved small battery operated fluffy pigs racing across a table! And Lexie thought a pork recipe would go down well. It did and we made 100 meat and veggie "piggy" rolls! This recipe is for 6 extra large sausage rolls, use whichever type of sausage you like, meat or veggie.
To make 6 extra large sausage rolls
What you need:
2 packs of ready rolled puff pastry
What you do:
1. Take the pastry out of the fridge and leave to come to room temperature for about 15 minutes.
2. Carefully layout the pastry sheets portrait style.
3. Use a knife to cut each pastry sheet into 3 equal rectangles (take a look at the photo above to see how). You should have 6 rectangle shapes.
4. Put 2 sausages on each rectangle shape (look at the middle photo above).
5. Crack the egg into a bowl and whisk it well.
6. Use a pastry brush to spread a little of the egg along the long edge of the pastry rectangle.
7. Roll the opposite long edge of the pastry rectangle over the sausages and tuck it in along the eggy edge.
8. Make sure the edge is stuck together, give it a pinch if it isn't.
9. Using a knife carefully cut 3 lines across the top of the sausage roll.
10. Brush the top of the sausage roll with egg.
11. Repeat this until you have made all 6 sausage rolls.
12. Put the oven on hot. 200 Fan.
13. Place the sausage rolls on lined baking sheets and cook in the over for 15 minutes.
14. Carefully remove from oven and brush with more egg.
15. Put them back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
16. They should be golden brown and shiny.
17. Allow to cool on racks.
18. Serve with homemade apple sauce, slaw and pickles.
Lexie Adamson, aged 21